Wednesday 3 August 2011

Day 62: Rest days are the best days!

Day 62
0 miles

Ah, rest day! I do like that feeing of not having to get up and immediately start packing everything away. Today was much more leisurely. Last night I got some food from a supermarket, so I had some corn flakes for breakfast, followed by a yoghurt.

Eventually made it in to town and my first priority was to get a haircut! Found one who wasnt busy. The guy used to live in England (think he was stationed there) and also knew a lot about Oregon and places on my route – he even suggested a place for me to get breakfast in one small town I go through!

Then it was time for a bit of site-seeing. Took my bike with me, as it seems like a good way to get around here. Although I should be resting, a few easy miles (unladen too) wont really compromise me too much, and besides, theres always tomorrow!

I decided to hike up the 'M' trail. This is a short but steep trail which zig-zags up Mt. Sentinal, overlooking the town, and mainly the University Campus. It has a giant concrete 'M' at the top (for Montana) and is a popular hiking trail.
The route up to the 'M' trail

It only took about 25mins to get to the top, and it afforded some lovely views over the town.


After making my way back down, I went to the 'Out to Lunch' festival in the town. This consisted of lots of restaurants in town having stands in a park selling food, and also some live music. Pretty nice way to have lunch.

The afternoon was spent riding a few bike trails, doing a few bits of pieces and relaxing. Of all the places I've visited so far, Missoula seems like the one I would be most happy living in. It has a nice relaxed vibe, a good selection of shops, restaurants and bars, and due to it's relative size, a seemingly decent infrastructure. Also seems a very 'active' place with lots of runners and bikers. All in all, a great place to spend a couple of days off.

A few more cyclists have also turned up at the hostel I'm staying in. So I think later we will probably all head out for a few drinks which should be good.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do if I want to hear about your entire trip!

    ReplyDelete