Wednesday 22 June 2011

Day 20: cooking on gas

Day 20
Bardstown to Hardin County somewhere! 64Miles

Managed to survive last nights deluge of rain. And actually, by morning my tent had dried up pretty much.

Today's ride was pretty straightforward, so not going to go into huge detail about it!

A summary of the main points are

Had my first puncture! Quickly found a bit of metal embedded in the back tire, so I had a pretty good idea where the hole in the tube would be. And I was right. Quick fix and I was on my way. Of all the mechanical problems Ive had, punctures are easily the most welcome. Easy to fix, and I can do it myself at the side of road!

Also went off route a little again today (this time to get breakfast!). This took me through the hometown of Abe Lincoln. Everything seemed to be named after him – there was Abe's cafe, the Lincoln bank etc. Hogdenville (for that was the place) was also home to the first roundabout I have come across in America! They just dont do them over here. Growing up in Basingstoke (nicknamed Donut City due to the huge number of roundabouts) it almost got me nostalgic! Also reminded of the time one of my friends from uni (an American) had his dad visiting. We were driving into town to go out for the evening, and his dad drove straight over a mini roundabout and almost sideswiped someone who had gone round it properly!

The Lincoln memorial roundabout (probably)

Also saw my first Amish person today. I reckon they might actually be even less popular on the roads than cyclists as their horse drawn carts dont seem to go very fast!

Arrived at a service station which apparently lets cyclists stay the night. As soon as I walked in, I was met with fantastic friendly hospitality. Arnold, the owner, and his daughter offered me a popcicle. Also showed me where the shower was, and where I could pitch my tent. And then asked me if I was joining them for dinner. Result!

Then later on Sam and Cory turned up – they had taken a rest day in Berea, so it was good to see them again.

I then had an important job to do – cook on the BBQ. Although I did have some competition.


The hospitality shown by Arnold and his family is typical of the kindness Ive seen to far. He doesnt make any money out of it, but he goes out of his way to make people feel welcome and to feed them. Its people like him, Stu and Erin on my second day, the Cookie lady and Dave that make doing this trip so rewarding even when its a bit of a struggle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment